Psacho trichordo bouzouki meso tou internet

Hello,
I live in Germany and I would ‘characterize’ myself as a ‘rebetiko-afficionado’ in desperate desire to learn to play this great music. ‘To ‘cho meraki’, as I would say it in Greek. So I decided to obtain a 6-string bouzouki via internet because I do not have the ability to go to Greece and I don’t know anyone in Athens who I could ask to search and who knows about bouzoukis.
I found this great forum and I read the threads on where to buy a bouzouki and which builder to buy from. Unfortunately most of them are not obtainable via internet except of Sakis/Mazikas and Zozef. About Sakis’ instruments I read some very contradicting opinions on the forum, the same about Zozef, especially I could not find any comments on the current instruments, since Zozef himself seems to have passed away some time ago. Their site also seems not up to date, the prices are still in drachmas. Are they still in business and does anyone have some information on the quality of the ‘Past-Zozef-Aera’-bouzoukis? The bouzoukis on their site however seem expensive to me or at least I cannot afford one of them. What about the other builders?
I could spend max. 1000,- € on a new 6-string bouzouki. The only thing I’m interested in is a good sound. I want the instrument to be SIMPLE in appearance but made of quality woods and ‘ingredients’.
Having this in mind I discovered the site hordofonon. com. Their workshop is located at Zografou. From what I saw on their site, they seem to make the ‘pure’ and ‘gnisia’ instruments that I am searching for or at least they differ from all the other bouzoukis I saw over the internet until now.
They offered me to build a left-handed 6-string bouzouki for € 880,- which is their starting price. It sounds like a good deal to me, but as I am an absolute beginner I could need some additional information before ordering an instrument for that amount of money.
So I would like to ask the people at this forum who are more experienced than myself, if anyone knows something about their instruments. Maybe someone has already visited or will visit their workshop or played one of their instruments or even bought one from them? Any input or even just opinions on the topic would be greatly appreciated.
As I said I need a left-handed instrument, which in 99,9% must be built on order and I cannot come to Greece for buying one. What would you recommend?

Best regards,
Wassilis

PS: Feel free to answer in Greek. I understand it but unfortunately I cannot write it correctly and I did not want to ‘torment’ the readers of this forum with my ‘Greeklish’. Thanks again for taking the time to read all this.

Βασίλη τα όργανα του Κουϊκογλου απ’ό,τι μου έχουν πει είναι καλά, αν και προσωπικά δεν έχω ακούσει κανένα, μου το χει πει όμως άνθρωπος που ξέρει. Φαίνεται κι από τις φωτογραφίες ότι έχουν ωραίο φινίρισμα και μου χουν πει ότι έχουν λαμπερό και ‘ρεμπέτικο’ ήχο. Γενικά δηλαδή είναι καλός αν έχεις αποφασίσει γι’αυτόν, αλλά υπάρχουν κι άλλοι ίσως καλύτεροι, (λέω ίσως γιατί αυτό είναι πάντα υποκειμενικό) στην ίδια τιμή.

Καλές πενιές

Gianni,

thanks for your reply. I have not decided yet. But as you know most of the other bouzouki makers are not presented on the net and I think it is even more difficult to order a bouzouki simply by phone.
But you mentioned other makers, could you give some additional infos? I know that it depends on personal opinions and notions but I would be interested to hear them. Which one would you recommend?

Best regards,
Wassilis

Α good one also present on the internet is George Karellas (www.karellas.gr) but I would recommend Theofilos Bras (tel. 210 2311429), whose instruments have the sound of the old bouzoukis you hear from the recordings.

I would have to agree with john.
your best choice will be Theofilos Bras. He is a great person to deal with Honest,Reliable,and because of his 25 years of experience he is one of the few who can actually make you a bouzouki with the sound that your looking for. He made me a bouzouki That was so absolutely incredible in sound as well as looks. Although, he is not into placing large inlays on the spruce-tops or installing any kind of plastics. this man works strictly with the best hand selected spruce tops and wood for the bowls.ask anyone who has an instrument made from him,and I’m sure you will get the same response.
Good Luck on your bouzouki Hunting!
Mike K.

HELLO GUYS,
AS A FELLOW PLAYER I JUST WANT TO CHIME IN A FEW WORDS MYSELF. CHOOSING THE RIGHT MAKER IS A VERY CRITICAL DECISION. THIS WILL EITHER MAKE YOUR DESIRE TO PLAY THE INSTRUMENT A HAPPY EXPERIENCE,OR TURN IT INTO A NIGHTMARE IF THE BOUZOUKI TURNS OUT TO BE A “NTENEKE” AS WE SAY. I WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND TWO. 1 WOULD BE BRAS, AND THE OTHER WOULD BE BARLAS. I HAVE 2 ZOUKS FROM BARLAS ONE IS EXCEPTIONAL AND THE OTHER IS GOOD, OR SHOULD I SAY STILL BETTER THAN 25 OTHERS I’VE OWNED IN MY LIFETIME. I JUST ORDERED A BOUZOUKI FROM BRAS BECAUSE I HEARD MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT HIM. I HAVEN’T RECEIVED THE BOUZOUKI YET,BUT I’M ANXIOUS TO SEE WHAT HE’LL SEND ME. I HEARD FROM VERY CLOSE FRIENDS OF MINE EXACTLY WHAT MIKE STATED ABOVE IN HIS POSTING. HE IS A PREETY NICE GENTLEMAN,ALWAYS EAGER TO HELP YOU IN ANYWAY HE CAN. IN THE EVENT YOU ORDER ONE FROM BARLA, BE CAREFUL MY FRIEND. BECAUSE IT WILL BE A LIFE ALTERING EXPERENCE, AND WHAT I MEAN FROM THAT IS BY THE TIME YOU RECEIVE IT YOU’LL PROBABLY FORGET THAT YOU HAD IT COMING… MY BEST FRIEND ORDERED 2 ZOUKS FROM HIM AND WAS SUPPOSED TO RECEIVE THEM 3 WEEKS AGO,AND HE CAN’T GET A HOLD OF THE GUY. SO I WOULD SUGGEST STICK WITH BRAS.

Hello,

I thank you guys for your replies. My question is, can I buy a good quality bouzouki for ~1000 Euros from Bras? How much did you paid for your bouzoukis?

Thanks,
Wassilis

yes you can

γεια σας κι εγω ψαχνω ενα τριχορδο μπουζουκι… ειμαι απο τη Βραζιλια και παιζω τετραχορδο. Μηπως ξερει κανεις για τον Γιαννη Βαγενα, ο οποιος εχει οργανοποιειο στην Πατρα και φτιαχνει τριχορδα συμφωνα με παλια μοντελα μπουζουκιου απο τη δεκαετια του 20 και του 30;

Μουσική με τρίχορδο μπουζούκι - σχετική δισκογραφία ή παλιές ηχογραφήσεις - κασέτες - CD - που μπορεί κανείς να βρεί ;
Λαμ

Οτι έχει ηχογραφηθεί πριν το '59 είναι με τρίχορδο μπουζούκι. Πάρε κι άκουσε Μάρκο, Τσιτσάνη, Παπαϊωάννου από όποια εποχή θελεις κι όταν αποφασίσεις να μπεις “στα δύσκολα” πάρε Χιώτη και Τατασόπουλο της δεκαετίας του '50.
Αν θες οργανικά κομμάτια με μπουζούκι, βρες -ενδεικτικά- το “Μινόρε του τεκέ” του Χαλικιά, το “Ταξίμι ζεϊμπέκικο” και το “Αράπ” του Μάρκου, το “Τρικαλινό” και το “Ατελείωτο” του Τσιτσάνη, το “Πολίτικο” και το “Σέρβικο” του Παπαϊωάννου, το “Σέρβικο” του Χατζηχρήστου, το “Πέρασμα” των Μπαγιαντέρα-Χιώτη. Στα πιο “ζόρικα”, πάρε τις “Πενιές Μπέμπη” του Στεργίου, το “Σόλο μινόρε” του Τσιμπίδη και τις “Διπλοπενιές” του Καρνέζη.
ΑΝ

αλλάξαμε εντελώς το θέμα της συζήτησης… γι’ αυτά που ρώτησα κανεις δεν ξέρει να μου πει τίποτα; το e-mail μου είναι vryopolitis@hotmail.com

να 'στε καλά :slight_smile: