US source for good bouzoukis

Hello to all!
Can anyone suggest a good source in the United States for good bouzoukis for a new player?
Thanks,
Tom

This is a message for Tom, but I think that the information which I am going to quote is interesting and it could concern some of the greek guys that take part in this forum and know about price, quality, and more things and details about this instrument.(So, mister Kourounis and Nikolaidis, may I have your attention please?)
One of the best and most famous in united states, bouzouki manufacturers, is the Kalis and company in Toronto Canada. You can visit their very organized and detailed site in the address
www.bouzouki.com/kalis.html
As you can see their prices start from 600$(US) for a very simple and cheap edition(15 strips[douyes]) that you can find in Greece for 40.000 drahmas(110 $ about,one US dollar is 360 to 370 drahmas right now), and they are going up to 3200(!!!)$ for a very good professional model(60 strips) that you can find in Greece for 250.000-300.000 drahmas(about 800 US$). They also have their “king”,the concert bouzouki(for Polukandriotis kai Bale),that it cost 4000 $. In greece with this money(1.500.000 drahmas) you can buy the best bouzouki, car, clothes and pay your rent for one year. To go there you need about 600-700$ for a two ways ticket and with 1500 more you can have great and rich vacations for one month. Greece is a very beautiful country. I am saying to you these cause as much I know the prices everywhere in usa are about the same. In any case, let me have a look for some maker in the New York area (I am a New Yorker) that I have heard about him and I will give you any news that I find, the soonest I can. In between you could visit kalis & company site, it is a very interesting one (except the money that they ask for!!)Seeya.
Stavros

YIASOU RE STAURO,
I KNOW THIS IS ALMOST A YEAR FROM THE DATE THAT YOU WROTE THIS,BUT I JUST HAD TO LET YOU KNOW THAT (POLIKANDRIOTI KAI BALE) COMMENT HAD ME IN STITCHES!!! MOST OF THESE LUTHIERS LIKE KALIS& COMPANY,DIO DINOS,FILLIPIDIS, ETC… MUST THINK THAT WE MUSICIANS HAVE A S@#$ LOAD OF MONEY, OR THAT WE’RE JUST PLAIN FORREST GUMPISH! ESPECIALLY WHEN I KNOW THAT SOME OF THEM PURCHASE THE SKAFOS FROM GREECE (SKALISTO)FOR A FEW DOLLARS INCLUDING THE REST OF THE ACCESORIES.(TASTIERA,FIGOURES,ETC…) THEN THEY HAVE THE DIFFICULT JOB OF “GLUING” THE PIECES TOGETHER…AT THIS TIME THEY CALL IT A “MASTERFUL BOUZOUKI” AND TO BOOT, THEY CHARGE AN ARM AND A LEG FOR IT INSTEAD OF BEING COMPARABLE TO THE GREEK PRICES… LIKE IT’S SO DIFFICULT TO PICK UP A PHONE AND ORDER ONE FROM GREECE FOR A THIRD OF THE PRICE!! DUH!! ANYWAY, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU… MAYBE THEY SHOULD WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!

I am also looking for a bouzouki. I spoke to a man in Belmont, Mass. Christos Pantezelos who makes bouzoukia at Unique Strings. He was telling me that almost all makers in Greece bu the parts (bowl, neck, top, and inlay) and then put them together. In addition, they all start out with 15 staves, and then to get more staves, they slice the bouzouki down the middle of a stave, add spacer and glue it back together. If this is all true, what exactly are these makers doing that warrants even the lower Greek price of bouzoukia? Other people have told me that there are no factory made bouzoukia, and that it is all custom. But, if all of these companies are making parts for “custom” makers, why don’t they just make their own bouzoukis? This is all very confusing, and not like buying a custom guitar in the U.S. Anybody have the real deal on this industry?

Hello Chris,
I would advise you to speak with pavlos kakouris in the california area, he also has a web site with a bouzouki forum. I have seen The bouzouki that pantazelos made for charlie macretes,and from what i hear, that guy is a rip off. Anyone who wants to charge so much money for such a mediocre product has issues. I wouldnt spend $500 for that bouzouki. Pavlo at least can select an instrument for you,that you know will have a sound, and you won’t be taking any chances like you would with a paraggelia.Also, even a kleftoyianni bouzouki from pavlo would be cheaper than a pantazelos wait a year or two piece of junk.

chris pantazellos is a very good craftsman who builds bouzoukia from scratch.very light to the touch finish product.not for all players

Αυτό πάντως μου θύμισε την τεράστια ταμπέλα που έβλεπα στο θέατρο επιθεώρησης Ακροπόλ στην Ιπποκράτους: ΤΡΙΑΝΤΑ ΤΟ ΔΟΛΛΑΡΙΟ! (από 15, Μαρκεζίνης 1953)

1 «Μου αρέσει»