SUBCULTURES: PUNK and REMBETIKO

it was thought as an answer to the user alk.
BTW - by the way:
i stop to compare now :wink: because here in the forum are so many other jewels.

i have this sight to history: i like - for example - poststructuralism or the the thinking in RHIZOMES.
this posibilites or positions connect differences. i have fun to look for coherences.

Niko, please let me explain one more time :wink:

you said last week:

i have a absolutly another opinion, but now i stop here to compare. this forum is Rembetiko,
and this is good. i wanna look for other themes here. for other threads.

the forum is full of jewels!

2 «Μου αρέσει»

I am writing now an aricle which compares Rembetiko and Punk and i found some Bands, they play both or mix or combines it.

Do you know some music which combines or mix both or old rembetika which are a little bit “Punk” like Mouflouzelis

or Markos o Syrianos

That’s a theme that could be perceived in many ways, I would recommend this song: Πιτσιρίκος Μάγκας-Στέλιος Βαμβακάρης - YouTube

It is somewhat difficult to me, Simon, to see Mouflouzelis’ interpretation of the specific melody as “a little bit punk”. If you could please lead me via a suitable link to some genuine punk piece that features such similarities, this could possibly help.

1 «Μου αρέσει»

much of Mouflouzelis “Τ΄ αντράκια” reminds me of punk,: melody, harmony, chords, guitar style, speed, rhythm, singing style …

dynamics
power

Simon! I asked it the other way around!

But if you think, dynamics and power as well as singing style and guitar style alltogether create similarity of two different music genres, I am afraid no musicologist will agree…

I understand you are looking for some naive playing and aggressive attitude? Something like Markos in his first recordings and Batis, or Gus Doussas and Charilaos Piperakis in the US.
If you are looking for contemporary rebeto-punk playing, unfortunately I can’t find any videos of what I have in mind, but when you visit Athens I could inform you personally for some such gigs.

2 «Μου αρέσει»

Rembetiko/Punk? Where? in which locations? do you know the names of some bands?

It’s more like group of friends, not something official.

2 «Μου αρέσει»

I disagree definitely

called Rembetiko Punk

i have now 8 tracks - in my opinion very close tor Rembetiko / Punk, i would like to have 10! :wink:

Well, the fact alone that they wrote a piece in 9 to the bar, does not of course make it a rebetiko, even if they call it so themselves.

there are always only single points of contact, Petros plays baglamas, two Greek women are there, the song should be based on ATSIGGANA (Batis) …, there are always only small points of contact, combinations, on different levels, including of course the attitute . This is the case with all examples with Rembetiko / Punk, which i found, crazy and serious, different.

i am not a musicologist Simon but i sense that you WANT to find a connection, rather than identify one that exists.i personally think that, if you want to want to go down that path, you will have to better than: this tune could be punk
or
this reminds me of punk
etc…
i honestly have no clue if the two are related in any way and, in all fairness, i wouldn’t be able to identify what Punk is…
however, the track you posted sounds nonsensical to me (i don’t mean this as an insult) and i cannot see how sound like this can form the basis of any theory. people do whatever they want with their music… i can probably come up with a reggae/Viennese walz combination…does that create a connection between Reggae and Johann Strauss?

yes i want to find and i know there are some points :wink: and i found them. later, when my article is ready, you could read it.

kala xristujena, best regards to greece.

2 «Μου αρέσει»

You can search for Dead Mangas from Starsbourg, but I do not think they are very active nowadays.

1 «Μου αρέσει»

This one reminds me of the comedy hip hop of Ημισκούμπρια, maybe I’m showing my age :wink:

1 «Μου αρέσει»

Occasionally I , too, have felt that listening to some early rembetica is an experience similar to listening to punk. Σούρα και μαστούρα, for example. Not just the lyrics (guy just wants to get as high as possible, no matter which way, and when he makes it he is happy and goes home - nothing to hide, to imply, to apologise for, to explain) but also the way that the voice and the instruments deliver the music.

But I don’t know much about punk so I can’t explain this more thoroughly.

4 «Μου αρέσει»

this is no Punk but at first when i went to youtube i found this and i must laugh :slight_smile: