HYDRA REBETIKO CONFERENCE - 17-20 October 2002

You are invited to attend the
Second International Weekend Conference

“RESEARCHING REBETIKA:
Present Projects and Future Prospects”

to be held at the Melina Mercouri Hall
on the Island of Hydra

Thursday 17 October - Sunday 20 October 2002

If you want to reserve a ticket for the Conference, send us an e-mail with contact details to rebetology@yahoo.com or phone (UK) 0044 208 340 4315.

The Hydra Rebetiko Conference is an annual gathering of researchers, musicians and singers concerned with Greek music and Rebetiko in particular. We hold the Conference on Hydra because it is beautiful, quiet (no cars) and within easy reach of Athens. We choose October because it’s the end of the tourist season, rooms are plentiful and the swimming is still good. The Conference is open to all interested parties, and registration for the 3 days costs £25 / €40 / US$36 per person (food and accommodation not included).

The standard format of our Conference is 2 days of presentation of papers
[Friday 18th and Saturday 19th October; papers are presented in either English or Greek]; the showing of rebetiko-related films and videos; a big Saturday night open-air Rebetiko Supper, where the whole island joins us; and jam sessions that go on into the early hours of the morning. This year we have the additional features of workshops (on instrument-making etc), and a programme of Karaghiozis (shadow puppet theatre) shows.

We are delighted to announce that our singer for the Rebetiko Supper at the Douskos Restaurant [Saturday 19 October] will be the wonderful MARYO from Thessaloniki, accompanied by some of Greece’s finest musicians, including KYRIAKOS GOUVENTAS, YANNIS ALEXANDRIS, MANOLIS PAPPOS and ANDREAS TSEKOURAS. This will be a very special night.

Details of this year’s event can be found at
http://www.geocities.com/HydraGathering

• Organised by the Institute of Rebetology, London -

• with the collaboration of moosootoo -

Our conference is sponsored by
the Modern Greek Section of the University of Cambridge
the Mayor and Municipality of Hydra,
the Greek Government - Ministry of Culture
AEPI - Hellenic Music Organisation
and Olympic Airways

Yiassas
I will be at the conference, and hope to learn some more about playing rembetika (I play harmonica or “mouthorgan”). I wondered if maybe one of the musicians also going could get me started with the following: what would be a good song to learn to play to get familiar with a certain scale? There are so many dromos I don’t know where to begin…If you can advize me eg to start with Peyrotiko scale on such and such song I could study it a little before coming to Hydra and have you comment on the result.
I do have some sheetmusic, so a wellknown song I might have (eg in Anthologia Rembetika).
Thanks, and see you in Hydra
Ludo Beckers.

Greek translation?
Could somebody please translate my former message/question into Greek and place it on the list again?
I’m aware that many listmembers don’t read English very well, and my Greek is (unfortunately) restricted to a few words.
Efcharistopoly if you can help.
Ludo

Hi Ludo. I would suggest that you start with songs like ‘Oloi oi Rebetes tou Dounia’ and’Fragkosiriani’by Markos Vamvakaris. They should be in your compilation. They are on the minor scale. All for now. Pavlos.

Thanks Pavlos
I have both songs on cd (and Frankosiriani ofcourse on paper too); the quest remains though, for some examples of songs and knowing what dromos they use.
It would be an objective to try a certain scale of a song and study it enough to feel comfortable with it and eventually attempt a taksim.
Ludo-dreaming ahead of reality-Beckers