I don’t know whether they’ve been uploaded again. I couldn’t find them in a search I did.
And the thread from when Kalfopoulos “passed away”.
And another thread I found where some of his students are talking:
An excellent interview with Kalfopoulos by P. Geramanis!
The difficult years of orphanhood, working to make a living from an early age, the period of the Greco-Italian occupation, surviving thanks to the bouzouki, meeting Delias, joining the EAM, the rise of Kazantzidis, and so on.
In short, a valuable and authentic account from an important laïkó creator.
I noticed that, at one point, when Geramanis mentioned the term “rebetika”, Kalfopoulos countered with the term “laïkó”.
As a continuation of, or at least a complement to, this interview [for a more comprehensive picture of both the creator and his era], we can also watch the corresponding interview with P. Kounadis here:
See?
Everyone made such “corrections” in their interviews.
Tsitsanis, Hiotis, Genitsaris, Keromytis, Athanasiou, and others.
What they call “rebetiko” is nothing more than a “period in time” in our popular music.
A “snapshot” and nothing more.
Yes, my dear Spyros, a snapshot indeed, in an era when Tsitsanis, Chiotis, Yenitsaris, Keromytis and many other “giants” of the popular song of that time were still alive. Today, however, in the second quarter of the 21st century, rebetiko is no longer a snapshot. It is a distinct and complete musical genre, a subcategory of popular music.