Urban-Folk Leftovers

Quite interesting!

Hmm, I don’t know… In any case, while Karas was alive, he only gave his seal of authenticity to whatever was released. Of the countless unreleased recordings, we don’t know which ones he would not have approved and which ones he simply didn’t live long enough to release.

I have this record. Not here, but I do have the songs here as MP3s. They are re-recordings by the SDEM orchestra-choir, made after Karas’s death and based on his own unreleased recordings (audio? written? The liner notes will clarify that, but I can’t remember offhand). The whole record has a strong urban character, and this is also pointed out and explained in the notes, based on the history and cultural identity of the Kymi area (= northern Karystia, very different from the “wild” southern Karystia, the Kavontoros. Karystia as a whole, north and south, makes up southern Euboea).

An exact re-recording of the record’s re-recording, here:

In other words, it is a variation on the syrtos “Sit still, schoolmistress”.

I only learnt about this particular recording of “The Schoolmistress” very recently; I posted it in “What song are we listening to now?” and commented that, if we focus only on the melody and ignore where the syllables of the lyrics fall, it resembles “Who, my darling, who?”, which we all know as a Parios song, of course, but which existed previously as an island song. In fact, I think @koutroufi once shared a recording of the pre-Parios version of the song with us.

(For the rest, I knew “The Schoolmistress” from a Chian recording by S. Karas—again!—which is clearly the same song, but I had never thought that it sounded like “Who, my darling, who?”, just as Vasilō with her pistols doesn’t sound like it either.)