You got Angeliki with dollars and pounds

I’ve been looking for a song for a long time — probably a traditional one — which I heard from Nikos Pourpourakis on a tribute programme. It’s the following song. I haven’t managed to find any other version. Many thanks in advance

1 Like

… and I don’t suppose you will. I imagine the song was created by Pourpourakis, singing these lyrics we hear to one of his own earlier, well-known melodies. In any case, I don’t think this particular little song ever «crossed the Atlantic» to become known in Greece, and it certainly isn’t «traditional»—that is, folk.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. There is, of course, a song that somewhat resembles this, “The Old American” by Perdikopoulos, but it is clearly not the same.

1 Like

Here is the song:

3 Likes

And on oud, T. Lefteris?

Violin: Loris Antonis, Guitar: Panos, Bouzouki: Anestos Athanasiou, Bouzouki: Nikos Pourpourakis, Oud: T. Lefteris

The only name that comes to mind is Lefteris Tsagaris, but I’m not sure we can pursue this lead. He played the bouzouki.

Here: Kalos Diskos: Greek Folk & Popular Songs in NYC ca. 1952-56 | Nikos Pourpourakis, Thodoros Kavourakis, Angeliki Palagoudi, Andreas Poggis & friends | Canary Records

The researcher mentions a certain Lenteris, an oud player, without giving us any further details.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.